Weddings

I’ve sort of become part of a wedding culture in the last few months.

Last year I didn’t know anyone (in my peer group) who was married or getting married. Now I know 8 people who are engaged and getting married in the next two years.

I can now sustain a very long conversation about wedding plans, guests, venues, food, invitations and engagement rings.

And it’s seriously fun.

In the spring, Quonya and Doug who I met in Newcastle are getting married in Edinburgh. This summer my friend Annie from high school is getting married in Ottawa. My old roommate Taylor’s wedding is in July, and both Kristen and The Chris are bridesmaids.

And in October of 2012, Chandra is getting married and I’m a bridesmaid. Seriously, I couldn’t be more excited. It’s like a big party that you spend two years planning! And I get to help! I get to make invitations and help pick a photographer and watch Chandra try on beautiful dresses! And then I get to wear a beautiful dress too, and sit at the important wedding table! I feel like such a grown up!

I’m in no hurry at all to plan a wedding of my own, but I’m really happy that close friends of mine are getting married soon and I get to experience it all. And then I’ll have lots of ideas in five years when I might start thinking about doing it myself. Maybe.

For now I’m just excited for all my friends. And the parties.

• By Faebala, January 27, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

I can’t wait to plan your wedding with you. :)

• By Hezabelle, January 27, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Mine?! We gotta plan yours first, babes!

• By chandra, January 27, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

<3 . :)

• By Eleni, January 28, 2011 @ 1:21 am

Weddings! What fun! I love dressing up, spending time with family and friends, and eating lots of food. So weddings are pretty exciting in my book :)

I finally got invited to my first wedding of someone in my peer group (old family friend who’s my age). It was actually this past weekend, and I feel so bad I didn’t go, because I have school and the wedding was in New Hampshire and I’m in Honolulu. But I wonder how many of these things I’ll be invited to, and whether I’ll regret not going down the road.

I’ve also wondered whether I’ll ever get to be a bridesmaid. There are a few people that I think might choose me for a bridesmaid (the people that I would choose for my own at the moment), but none are sure bets. I feel like all my life, my best friends have had other people for their best friends. I will be sad if I never get to be a bridesmaid.

• By Christine, January 28, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

Weddings are good times!! Not ready to even think about my own yet.

• By Sebastian, January 28, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

Quonya…? :P

And yay for being a bridesmaid!

It looks like I’m going to miss out on being best man for any of my cousins — which means I probably won’t ever be a best man, unless I suddenly make a best friend…

• By Stephanie, February 2, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

Weddings are fun! Though planning them for yourself is quite hectic. I have just started scratching the surface of wedding planning and am already a little overwhelmed by how many decisions there are to make. I think I will spend the greateset amount of time trying to find a photographer, eek, to them it will be like having a doctor as a patient!

• By Quonya, March 19, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

Congrats to the many people getting married :)