Watch the sunrise

#82. Ride in a hot air balloon.

sunrise by me

Number 82 is the third on my list of 100 things to do before I die that I got to do by going to Egypt.

Originally I wanted to go on a hot air balloon ride because a) I’m afraid of heights and I’m all about conquering my fears (except spiders) and b) when I was a teenager and printing other people’s photographs, someone came in with the most beautiful pictures from a hot air balloon ride in Ottawa. You see, the best times of day to go on a hot air balloon ride are dawn and dusk. When I was little (and even to this day) I used to watch the bright balloons appear one by one on the horizon as the sun began to set. We used to count them out loud and pick our favourites.

I never imagined that I’d get to go on a hot air balloon ride in Egypt.

Ballooning by me

When Chandra and I booked our Egypt package, I saw that there was a supplement you could add for a hot air balloon ride. It was expensive. I was afraid to mention it. But Chandra said it first. “How cool would it be to go on a hot air balloon ride over Egypt?” And done.

It was worth every penny. It was even worth waking up at 4:30am. Because we watched the sunrise over the Nile. Because we saw the Valley of the Kings stretch out beneath us in the early morning light. Because we glided over the city of Luxor.

Sunrise over the Nile by me

I wasn’t afraid, not for a second. I thought I might be. But I was too busy taking photos, and then suddenly we were in the air, 200 metres up.

The Valley of the Kings by me

It was one of the most spectacular things I’ve ever done in my life. And that, my friends, is why my list of 100 Things to Do Before I Die exists.

• By Shaun McAlister, February 4, 2010 @ 9:54 am

Now that I am over my jealousy (just about anyway) I was wondering what you plan to do when you’ve done everything on your list? Love the photos btw your talent never ceases to amaze me

• By Chandra, February 4, 2010 @ 9:59 am

OMG!!! One of the most amazing things I’ve ever done! Worth the extra money for sure :P . Such amazing pictures Heather - thanks for posting!

• By Hezabelle, February 4, 2010 @ 10:01 am

Well, the only logical thing to do after finishing my list would be to write another one!

However, some are long term things, like own a house or be a mom. So it will take a while. Maybe by the time I’m 30 though!

• By Laura, February 4, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

I thought you weren’t afraid of heights? That’s why you take trapeze and walk on stilts? oh wait. Is that me?

• By Lea, February 4, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

I should make a list.

• By Court, February 4, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

AMAZING! Great work on that list. I too am feeling like I should write a list.

• By Faebala, February 4, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

I should really finish my list. I think I only have 5 more things to add in there.

And these are gorgeous pictures. The first is still my favorite.

• By Lisa, February 4, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Sorry for all the caps, but it seriously is! Not only did you get to go on a hot air balloon ride, but you did it in Egypt. Jealous!

• By Eleni, February 4, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

Wow! The light on the mountains in that last one, the mist in that first one… Breathtaking!

• By Sebastian, February 6, 2010 @ 3:12 am

Goddamn!

Now I want to be back in a hot air balloon.

Same thing when I was up above Cappadocia. Really magical. Though your dawn looks prettier than mine :)

But, for my balloon ride, I did get woken at 4:30 _while sleeping in a cave_.

• By Luba Stines, June 4, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

I always was concerned in this topic and stock still am, thankyou for posting .