Thanksgiving

Yesterday was Thanksgiving in Canada. All weekend I have been watching my friends Twitters and Facebook statuses detail their journeys home for the holiday, and I couldn’t help but be jealous.

After a couple of weeks of homesickness, I have largely adjusted to being here, but Thanksgiving was a bit too much for me to handle. I was having daydreams of turkey dinners and pumpkin pie and spending a lazy day watching seasons of TV shows with my sister while the smell of dinner wafted through the air.

Luckily, I was prepared. My Canadian friend here, Chandra (who happens to be from the same city as me, though we’d never met each other until we got to Newcastle!), and I decided to have a Canadian Thanksgiving party. It was largely a pot luck, and the guests ranged from Canadian to British, from American to Italian! I made the chickens (you have to special order a turkey, apparently!) and the rest of the food arrived on schedule!

dinnerPhoto is courtesy of Chandra!

I’ve never been away from home for a holiday. Or at least, I’ve never been away from my family for it. When I was younger we used to go to the US and spend Canadian Thanksgiving with our American friends of the family (who used to live in Canada, thus deserve TWO Thanksgivings). Thanksgiving isn’t a really big deal in Canada like it is in the US, but it’s still a good time to spend with your family and eat way too much food. Also, when I was living in Ottawa, all of my friends from high school would usually venture back from wherever they’d ended up and we’d get to hang out for a day or so at a sort of halfway point to Christmas.

I was really happy to be able to have a dinner across the ocean, and proud of myself for being able to put it together (Ahhh, growing up!) it was also great to get all of my new friends together in my lovely new apartment. But now I’m looking forward to Christmas and getting to go back home again. It still feels like home.

pie

We did get to have pumpkin pie, though! Despite the fact that apparently such an idea doesn’t exist in the UK!

• By Eleni, October 13, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!

This will be my first Thanksgiving away from home, too! Or, at least my first Thanksgiving not with my immediate family (we would occasionally all go to my aunt or uncle’s house). At least I have family here to celebrate Thanksgiving with. Thanksgiving in Hawaii won’t be quite the same as Thanksgiving in Massachusetts, but hopefully it’ll be nice.

Glad you got to celebrate!

• By Sebastian, October 14, 2009 @ 2:48 am

Oooh, a lovely spread… especially for a student house :)

We have pumpkin pie… it’s just not a popular dish. It’s not great, let’s be honest. I once had a lovely pumpkin pastry/pie type thing in Serbia, but other than that… I’ve never been impressed (and I’ve tried a variety of them…)

But you Americans do like your not-really-tasty-but-heck-it’s-traditional things :P

• By The Chris, October 14, 2009 @ 6:36 am

And apparently this is true…

• By Hezabelle, October 14, 2009 @ 9:55 am

Pumpkin pie is awesome. Just because YOU don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s bad! :P We “Americans” eat a lot of pumpkin flavoured things - scones, squares, lattes.

• By Sebastian, October 14, 2009 @ 2:00 pm

Hm? I said it’s OK, not great. Just because you are used to something, or brought up on it, doesn’t make it objectively great.

There are better things you can put in pies.

I imagine it gets used a lot over there because… there are a lot of pumpkins.

A bit like carrot cake, I guess.

• By Eleni, October 14, 2009 @ 9:09 pm

Seb, saying that something isn’t “objectively great” really doesn’t have any value when we’re talking about tastes. If anyone (e.g. you) doesn’t think it’s great, then of course it’s not objectively great. (But to set the record straight, Orlando Bloom is objectively good looking.)

There are plenty of Americans who don’t like pumpkin pie, traditions be damned. And I introduced a Japanese friend to pumpkin pie two years ago, and she loved it (sneaking down to the kitchen to snick little bits behind my back…) Whatever you think of pumpkin pie, some people actually do really like it. AND prefer it over other things. My mom always makes four pies at Thanksgiving: apple, pumpkin, pecan, and one “wild card”. I prefer the pumpkin.

Anyway, I kind of theorize that people only think they like the taste of beer because of tradition/social conventions. But if someone insisted that they really actually did enjoy the taste, I would believe them.

• By Hezabelle, October 14, 2009 @ 10:53 pm

Exactly! I truly enjoy the taste of both beer AND pumpkin pie!

And I don’t even really like most pies. Pumpkin is one of my only two loved pies. The other is pecan!

• By Sebastian, October 14, 2009 @ 11:10 pm

Well SOMEONE misses their pumpkin pie over in Hawaii… no need to take it out on ME, Eleni! *thwaps*

• By Eleni, October 15, 2009 @ 12:00 am

Now Seb, I understand that you were upset about losing the argument, but whining about being victimized and thwapping are not the answer. We’re all civil, here.

We have pumpkin pie in Hawaii. It’s still America. The U.S.’s Thanksgiving is next month.

Hez, you would certainly like Thanksgiving at my mother’s! Her pecan pie recipe is particularly good–famous among my family and friends.

• By Sebastian, October 15, 2009 @ 12:01 am

*mothers’

• By Eleni, October 15, 2009 @ 12:12 am

Does this mean I have two now? Double the pies!

• By Eleni, October 15, 2009 @ 12:15 am

Or was that a “Yo momma’s so fat she gets pluralized!”? Ouch.

Oh Seb, just look at what you’re resorting to now.

• By Hezabelle, October 15, 2009 @ 12:27 am

Wow, Eleni, I didn’t know you had two mommies!

hehehe

• By Faebala, October 15, 2009 @ 4:58 am

Adorable photo of you! I should’ve called you and told you the Thanksgiving story. Or had my Dad call you to tell the Thanksgiving story, since he’s so much better at it than I am.

• By Shaun, October 17, 2009 @ 7:40 pm

Im sure pumpkin pie does exist in some places in the UK, its just not very common lol The real rare item is tinned pumpkin…