Let the packing begin

Nine days left until I traverse the seas to Newcastle. And I’ve started packing! See?

pack

My theory so far is to lay out everything I WANT to bring and see what fits. I’m going to have another suitcase as well, but I haven’t picked it up from my grandparents’ house yet.

What am I bringing so far? Zoom in!

flagA Canadian flag that I bought for $3 the day after Canada Day. It’s huge and awesome. Underneath that, if you can see it, is my brand new umbrella which I bought because I’m going to one of the rainiest places in the world.

coatOne of many coats that I’m bringing. People tell me that cold in England is colder that here in Ottawa. I still don’t believe them (my eyelashes froze last winter!) but I’m still going to be prepared! Also, on top of said coat is the book I got from Newcastle University. It’s quite giant but very pretty and not terribly heavy, so I’m going to attempt to pack it and see what happens.

scarfAnd here, under a pile of clothes, is one of many scarves I’m packing for the same reason as above coat. It all looks like quite the mess right now, but it’s getting there!

I’m trying to fit my whole life into two suitcases. Mostly, I’m bringing clothes. What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

• By Lisa, August 26, 2009 @ 6:25 pm

All I can say: GOOD LUCK PACKING! For me it was a nightmare trying to squeeze everything in my suitcases. If I could do it again I wouldn’t have brought as much with me at all.

You must be so excited about all of this!!! 9 days…time flies!

• By Sebastian, August 26, 2009 @ 9:58 pm

Pfft! It might go below zero a few times at most — more than the south certainly, but still… it won’t go below -3 I expect.

But you really do not want to be outside in England when it’s -3… Best find a nice warm fire to curl up in front of.

Also, not THAT rainy. About 100mm a month in the winter I think. Definitely damp, but not THAT wet. Again, don’t be outside when it’s cold AND wet — but either one is just fine!

I’m boring and male, so as long as I have a pair of boxer shorts and my laptop, and a good book, I’m fine for a looong time.

• By Eleni, August 26, 2009 @ 11:25 pm

Wow, good luck packing! I was doing that 6 or 7 weeks ago. I know what you mean, fitting your whole life into suitcases. Of course, I didn’t have to pack my winter parka ;) I also had family members traveling out with me who could take extra suitcases of mine. I brought clothes, all my DVDs, some of my books, and had one small suitcase full of stuffed animals (a very small portion of my collection, really). Can’t go anywhere without them!

• By Andhari, August 27, 2009 @ 11:14 am

Good luck packing, I say a few dark colors outfits would be essential so you can mix and match them. One or two solid color jackets as well :) Cute scarves btw.

• By Kristen, August 27, 2009 @ 8:53 pm

Oh my God, 9 days! I can’t believe it is so soon! It’s all so real now! I’m so excited for you.

• By steph, August 27, 2009 @ 11:21 pm

my dad happily informed me when i went to stockholm that ottawa is the coldest capital in the world… moscow comes in close second… i very highly doubt “cold” in England is colder than cold in Ottawa… especially seeing as the whole U.K went crazy at a few inches of snow last year…

• By Lea, August 28, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

No way is it colder than Ottawa. There’s the gulf stream, for one thing.