Unconditional

Wrapped in an embossed dark red folder with a shiny gold sticker was my degree. A little piece of paper that took four years and a fair amount of tears, late nights, phone calls and deadlines. Tucked just behind it was a printout of my final transcript on copy-proof paper.  Four sheets of paper in all, wouldn’t last more than a few seconds in a rainstorm or a shredder or even a new puppy.

The first thing I did when I got home was stick them all on my scanner. Thanking my installation of Acrobat Pro from earlier this year, I quickly pdfed the files. I opened my email and attached them to an email. When you’re an international student, you don’t send paper copies. Thank God for the world of email.

Two days later, I got an email back.

“Congratulations on your unconditional offer to study at Newcastle University.”

unew

Included was the official letter which includes my passport number, the university’s sponsor code and the statement of my tuition fees.

It’s done. They can’t take it back anymore. This (knock on wood) is it. Next, I’ll get my visa. Last night, I was looking for apartments (or I guess I should call them flats now?) After all that happened in the last couple of months, I was afraid that somehow they’d reject me. Maybe they’d made a mistake. Maybe I’d grossly miscalculated my GPA.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am going to the University of Newcastle.

I know this is hardly news but having that letter lifted a huge weight from my shoulders.

It remains to be seen if those four pieces of paper were worth their effort, but they have already proved pretty useful, if only to get me this next more important piece of paper.

This is the first of  many posts about Newcastle, pets. My life is about to get a whole lot more exciting!

• By Melanie LeBlanc, June 18, 2009 @ 10:41 am

Congrats! Sounds like such a fun adventure! I can’t wait to hear about it!

• By Court, June 18, 2009 @ 3:54 pm

Yay! I had a blog for you that I was about to send and then the whole awful online course debaucle happened, so I decided to wait… and now I can’t remember what it was. Here’s hoping I bookmarked it.

Anyway, it’s an American girl in grad school somewhere in the UK. I’ll send it as soon as I track it down!

Congrats!! Can’t wait to visit you!!

• By Court, June 18, 2009 @ 6:44 pm

Aha! Found it!

• By steph, June 18, 2009 @ 8:34 pm

Yesssssss congratulations :) i’ll see you there!! I feel like we need to talk soon for some reason…

• By Sebastian, June 18, 2009 @ 10:09 pm

‘Pets’? Working on the lingo already? Most importantly, you need to refuse to yourself as ‘us’ instead of ‘me’. And it’s ‘uzz’ not ‘ussss’. Yeah, classy, the northerners.

We have apartments AND flats in the UK. Flats are flat. Apartments are… PARTS of houses. I know, we’re a wild bunch here in Europe.

Grats, pookie!

• By Hezabelle, June 18, 2009 @ 10:22 pm

I’ve been saying pets in the last few posts.. I’m not sure why. I think I got it from a book.

…And I never knew that about apartments/flats!

• By Lisa, June 20, 2009 @ 5:41 pm

YAY! I can just sense the relief/excitement you must be experiencing! CONGRATS– it is even more official! :)