There is no reason and the truth is plain to see

Driving down the highway, the pavement disappears beneath me and I have the extraordinary sense of going somewhere. The street lights sparkle against the night sky, I streak past the few other cars, always going just a little bit too fast. There is a moment of silence as the song switches on my playlist. The first chords of A Whiter Shade of Pale float through the air and I smile to myself.

My head is full of imaginary scenarios. Me rolling all my clothes into small bundles and boarding a plane. The first time I set foot in Newcastle, lost, confused and slightly stressed, but so full of the future. Buying sheets for my bed, decorating a small but cute one bedroom apartment. Stepping into my first class, nervous but excited, meeting all of the other MA students. Walking along the river, watching fall turn into my first English winter and actually missing the snow. I see a favourite pub, with dim lights and Newcastle Brown on tap. I imagine my favourite cafe, with brownies for bad days and lattés for early mornings.

I picture myself on my first excavation, sweaty with the dust sticking to me, but smiling. I imagine finding that one thing that catches my attention on a random day in class - my thesis in the making. I see the Colisseum, the Parthenon, the Pantheon, the Acropolis.

I imagine what it will be like to be doing something I love everyday, for the first time in my life. What it will be like to be unemployed, to devote my time only to my studies.

And I smile.

• By Sebastian, May 31, 2009 @ 10:41 am

EAGER to be institutionalised!

As long as you can break out and do some Indiana Jones-type stuff one day, I guess that’s fine.

It’s nice to have something to look forward to :)

• By Hezabelle, May 31, 2009 @ 5:23 pm

I LOVE going to school. It’s one of the only things I’m really good at. And it’s even better this time around when it’s for something I love! Sure, I got to do some of it in my Bachelor, but it was always tainted by journalism. Now all I have to do for an entire year is preoccupy myself with things that happened thousands of years ago..!

• By Fae, May 31, 2009 @ 8:52 pm

Beautiful. And jealous. But very excited for you. <3

• By Lisa, June 1, 2009 @ 1:27 pm

Jealous! You will have an amazing experience there and you deserve every minute of it! I know what you mean about thriving in the school environment– I absolutely LOVE being in school…I’d love to get back for my MA at some point.

So excited for you!

• By Jo, June 2, 2009 @ 12:05 pm

I’m back! Howe are you??? That will be a wonderful experience, Hezabelle, I’m sure of that. New place, new people, new friends, wow! : ) When are you going exactly?

• By Hezabelle, June 2, 2009 @ 6:06 pm

I’m leaving hopefully the first week of September, but class doesn’t start until the 21st. So excited!