The nature of failure…

Some of you may have noticed that my blog stopped working for a large chunk of this afternoon. Let me tell you a story about my day and the nature of failure.

Monday is my day off. Today just happens to be Victoria Day, to celebrate the birthday of Queen Victoria. Who is dead. But all the same, we Commonwealthers like to harken back to our British roots and celebrate an already dead Queen. Most of us, however, call this weekend May Two-Four, as it usually falls around the 24th of May and a “Two-four” is what we call a 24 pack of beer. It is, essentially, the first long weekend of the summer and we usually like to enjoy all of those quintessential summer activities like skipping work and drinking in the sun.

What this means for me is that all of the things that I needed to do today, such as go to the bank or the post office, were impossible because nearly everything is closed. All the same, I had accepted my fate and planned some fun activities for the day.

The first was sleeping in. I was lying peacefully in bed, the sun pouring through the curtains, the cat snoring at my feet. I woke up, for once completely awake, and rolled over to check the time on my phone. 8:27am. What…? Why was I awake that early? But there was no going back now, I was awake and no manner of burying my head in the blankets was going to prevent it. Sad.

Now this alone would not have been a tragedy. After all, it was my day off and I could always nap later. The next thing on my agenda was to go give blood at the blood clinic. I haven’t donated blood in a while, because it’s just been 6 months since my last tattoo. But when I haven’t recently gotten a tattoo or a mysterious tropical disease, I try to give blood as regularly as my iron level will let me (I don’t eat red meat, therefore generally have low iron. My body can make enough for me, but if I give blood too often it gets too low.)

So I went to pick up Kaitlyn, who I was dragging with me, and went off to the clinic. I had an appointment for 11:20. Surprisingly, I was only two minutes late. And I passed the iron test with flying colours! All that remained was to wait for the questionaire and the poking-with-a-needle bit, which usually doesn’t take long…. But by 12:00 I hadn’t even done the questionaire and there were still quite a few people ahead of me in the line. I had to be somewhere (next part of the story..) by 1pm. I had no choice but to throw in the towel and leave with all of my original blood supply. I was a little annoyed - after all, I’d made an appointment and should get in before the countless drop-ins - but how can you really fault an important organization like that? I mean, they’re just trying to get as much blood to as many people as possible.

After a brief foray to Wendy’s for lunch (probably the only non-fail of the day), Kaitlyn and I headed downtown to the Museum of Civilization to see my sister’s new stilt show, The Girl Who Was Eaten by the Dark. I was supposed to take photos for their press kit, as I’ve done in the past. We drive into downtown Ottawa and suddenly notice that there are an awful lot of people about. And cars, too. As we get stuck in traffic, already running late, I snarl, “Why is there so much traffic in the middle of the day on a Monday..?!” And then it dawns on me. Everyone else in the city is off work today too.  The city is crawling with people.

I should mention that before this I had called my sister to ask her where, exactly, we going and where to park that she could get us free parking. I didn’t hear back from her. When we finally crossed the bridge into Québec, I drove around the Museum of Civilization looking for someplace to park. No such luck. After several uturns and failed attempts, we finally end up at a park across the street. That’s when I realized that I had forgotten to bring my camera.

It’s already 1:15, the show started at one. It took us another ten minutes of walking around the outside of the museum to find them, and we only caught the last ten minutes of the show.

Annoyed, I head home to attempt to do something productive with my day off. I turn on my computer to check my email and find out that the links on my blog aren’t working. And so I sign in and start fiddling with things to get it to work.

Well, needless to say I only made things worse. I ended up changing the main url that the blog was directed to and as a result, I couldn’t even sign in to change it back. I tried to go through a few php and css files to see if I could figure it out,  but I was so lost. And suddenly my blog no longer really existed, it was just words on an ugly white page.

I didn’t ever solve the problem. Obviously I don’t understand these things enough. Luckily for me, it took Seb like five minutes to not only fix what I had broken but the links as well. So, as you see, all is now well on the blog front, no thanks whatsoever to me.

The nature of failure is such that it is never just one thing that fails, but all things. It is never just one thing that goes wrong in my life at a time, no that would be too easy. It’s the same with big things as with little, like these. All of them have to pile up in what Kaitlyn rightly called an Epic Fail.


  • By Fae, May 18, 2009 @ 10:56 pm

    Poor babes. I absolutely hate days like that. *hugs tight*

  • By Fae, May 19, 2009 @ 12:21 am

    What I have to say to this:

  • By Eleni, May 19, 2009 @ 3:22 pm

    I tried to give blood once, and it did not go well. I, too, had made an appointment, but that didn’t keep me from waiting in line for well over an hour! I finally get into the questionnaire part, they take a sample, it’s all fine. But I’m stressed and annoyed that it’s taken so long, because I have a lot of homework to do and didn’t bring it along because I didn’t expect to wait since I’d made an appointment. I’m also pretty nervous because I’ve never given blood before, and the fact that I’ve had a whole hour to think about it has only increased my anxiety. So basically, by the time I get to the bed and the nurse comes over to draw my blood, I’m pretty stressed out. Then the nurse tells me she can’t find a suitable vein, and she can’t take my blood. All of that for nothing! I burst into tears. It was so humiliating. They let me lie there for a couple minutes to collect myself (I wasn’t taking up the only bed or anything) and even offered me a cookie, but I just left in shame. Fail.

    What a day. Hope today’s been better :)

  • By Hezabelle, May 19, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

    Man, that’s a really awesome blood fail. Hahaha.

  • By Lisa, May 20, 2009 @ 6:59 pm

    So sorry about your failure of a day. When it rains it pours!

    So glad your blog is back to working though. :)

Other Links to this Post

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment